Makeup is a very expensive endeavor. We spend hundreds of dollars on the so called drugstore hauls and Sephora hauls and never realize how much money we spend so quickly. That’s why I’m going to teach you how to save money on makeup! The best part is money saved on makeup can be used to buy more makeup! 😉
How to get Free Makeup
- Get Samples– The best way to save money on makeup is to try out the product first in the form of sample before you really commit to the item. I get samples through PINCHMe and Hunt4Freebies. From PINCHMe I have gotten some samples from MoroccanOil and Garnier and from Hunt4Freebies I have gotten samples from Sephora Collection and also Garnier.
- Enter Giveaways!– I always thought giveaways were rip offs and that I would never win but to my surprise I did win a giveaway once! I won a Revlon Lunar New Year giveaway on Instagram and they sent me a sweatshirt, bag, and two exclusive Revlon lipsticks that are only sold in Asia. I have also won a free mascara in a giveaway with Maybelline! Instagram is the best source to find a giveaway. They usually just ask you to follow the account and tag a friend. I have also seen giveaways on YouTube and Twitter but I feel like Instagram has the most.
- Join Influenster!– Influenster is a community where people can share their reviews on different products. You can score free full sized makeup and beauty products or any other product in exchange for a review on the product when you get selected for a VoxBox. Through Influenster I have received the Huda Beauty Life Liner , Maybelline SuperStay Crayon and Maybelline Super Stay Concealer.
- Coupons and Points– If you’re a rewards member at Sephora you can use your beauty insider points to get free items. There are also many other brands that have loyalty memberships where you can use your points to redeem free items. At Ulta they occasionally do coupons to get free items. I got the Clinique Hydrating Jelly for free at Ulta with one of their coupons. Sometimes companies also do free gifts with a purchase so you can score some extra goodies! I remember one time I walked into Sephora and they were giving away a free gift bag for customers who spent over $25 on Sephora Collection. This promotion was not advertised outside the store but it was definitely some nice freebies! I got a Sephora Collection Lip Stain, Eye Makeup Remover and Face Mask in sample sizes.
How to Get Discounted Makeup
- Poshmark– I have never bought makeup or beauty items on Poshmark but I do sell beauty items myself. Sometimes you may find yourself with makeup and beauty products that you have received but don’t like. These items can be sold on Poshmark and this is a perfect way for people like you to get discounted makeup!
- Subscription Boxes– Subscription boxes will give you the best value for high-end makeup. You can score up to $300 of makeup for only like $25. When I tried Boxycharm, my box was worth $278 and I only spent $25 on the box. The only drawback to this is you won’t know what you’re buying as it’s a surprise! For more on Boxycharm, click here!
- Sales!– This one is pretty obvious but sales are definitely an excellent time to score a discount on makeup. Sephora does sales in April, November, December and sometimes summer for Rouge members. CVS does NYX lip products on sale during Black Friday for a dollar each after extra bucks.
- Referral Codes– Many bloggers like me have referral codes so you can score discounts! I have refer a friend codes for Colourpop, LIVE Tinted, E.L.F Cosmetics, and Mented Cosmetics. [I DO NOT MAKE COMMISSION OFF OF THIS, IF ANYTHING I GET A COUPON]
- Value Sets– Sephora has some awesome value sets that you can
- Buy Drugstore– Drugstore makeup is really underrated but drugstores are changing up their game! They’re coming up with many new products and there are also many new brands entering the drugstore market.
- Cashback– My favorite service for cashback is Rakuten! Rakuten supports both Sephora and Ulta plus many other stores. Basically what they do is give you a percentage of your money back in the form of a check or gift card at a later time. My lifetime cashback balance as of today is $42 and I have been a member for 2 years (although I really only started using it in the last 6 months).
- Student Discount!– If you’re a student then you can score a student discount through UNIDAYS! Unidays offers discounts on Bobbi Brown, Tarte, Clinique and more!
- Use a Price Drop Watcher– Is there a certain product you really like but can’t seem to grab ahold of it going on sale? For problems like this I love to use Shoptagr! Shoptagr is an extension for your browser where you save products you like and get notified when they go on sale.
Well, that’s how to save money on makeup! I was actually surprised by how many ways you could save money on makeup. The key here is not to give in to temptation and prioritize what makeup you really want to buy plus making sure you buy that makeup at the right time. Let me know in the comments what is your favorite way to save money on makeup!