Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. This means I make a commission from your purchases when clicking my links. If you use them, I can buy more items to share with you guys! Please note that I only recommend things that I personally love! As for you, there is no higher price or charge for using my links! Any partnerships shared with brand will be disclosed in blog post if existing. Happy shopping! 😊
Makeup for Middle School 🏫
Makeup done on older people can have a completely different effect on the face when you’re younger. That’s why I believe it’s important to keep your makeup simple and easy! This post is a reflection of products I have used in middle school and what was good and what was not. However, you don’t have to follow the guidelines of this post! Feel free to break the rules ❤️ I have seen some amazing makeup artists on Instagram that are about middle school age and they do some spectacular creative makeup! This guide is
more for people looking for some simple makeup.
Where do I start? 🤔
Middle school can be so exciting with all these new opportunities and it’s probably the first time your allowed to start wearing makeup! I used to wear some lip colors in 6th but it wasn’t until 8th grade that I really started
wearing makeup. In this post I will share with you some products I started off with and I will also talk about other products which you should stay away from or give a try if you want! Also keep in mind of your school policies. For example I went to a private school in 7th and 8th grade so I couldn’t wear makeup to school, but I did wear makeup on the weekends.
Where to shop? 🛍
Personally, I don’t recommend luxury makeup if you’re in middle school. I never stepped into a Sephora until my 17th birthday. I think it’s better to wait and experiment with drugstore makeup so you can figure out what you like and also develop your technique. Also please don’t share makeup with anyone! I know when I was in middle school I used to use my mom’s makeup sometimes but that’s not a good idea as you can spread bacteria! Try shopping at Target, Walmart, Amazon, CVS, or Walgreens!
What brands to Shop? 💄
My first eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner, BB cream, powder, blush and so much more were all from Maybelline! Maybelline has a good collection of pretty much every product and it was also readily available and affordable to me when I lived in India for a while. I also got my first lipsticks from Wet n Wild and Revlon.
I guess E.l.f Cosmetics and NYX were not that popular when I was in middle school but I would definitely recommend them to any middle schooler now! Covergirl also has some good stuff! I have no clue why I didn’t buy this brand back in middle school. I buy it all the time now! 😊
Products you can use as a Middle Schooler 😃
I did recommend some Sephora products even though I don’t recommend spending a lot of money on makeup when you’re in middle school. But how much you spend is up to you so purchase whatever feels right.
- BB Cream/Tinted Moisturizer/Powder: I started off with a combination of tinted moisturizer and powder and then later on I started using just BB Cream. My favorite BB Cream is Maybelline’s Dream Fresh BB Cream. For powders, my favorites are Maybelline’s Dream Wonder Powder and Sephora Collection Matte Perfection Powder. Tinted moisturizers I like are GlamGlow Mega Illuminating Moisturizer and Covergirl Vitalist Go Glow Lotion. The GlamGlow one is expensive so you’re probably better off with Covergirl but it’s up to you!
- Lip Gloss, Tinted Lip Balm, Sheer Lipstick: These are all light-colored lip products. You don’t want the color to be too bold. My favorite lip gloss is NYX Butter Gloss in Vanilla Cream Pie! For tinted lip balms I used to use a lot of Baby Lips from Maybelline. These products had just released when I was in middle school and were the coolest things on the market. Please do note that these lip balms aren’t very moisturizing but they have a great color payoff. My favorite sheer lipstick is Revlon’s Rich Girl Red. A little pricier but totally worth it because it’s clean is Tower 28 ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss.
- Mascara: Whether you choose waterproof or washable mascara it’s up to you! I always used washable mascara when I was in middle school. Some of my favorite drugstore mascaras are Covergirl Lash Blast Volume Mascara, Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies, Covergirl Professional Mascara, and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara.
- Eyeshadow: If you’re feeling adventurous you can play around with a rainbow-colored palette but I recommend keeping it cool with some more neutral colors. My personal favorite eyeshadow palettes for middle schoolers are: The Nudes and Blushed Nudes which are both from Maybelline.
- Blush: Blush is great for a fun youthful glow. Just make sure you don’t go overboard with it! I love a good blush palette so I can choose from different colors. Currently, I’m using the L’OREAL Paris Infallible Blush Paints.
- Concealer: I had pretty clear skin in middle school so I never needed a concealer. If you do choose to use a concealer my favorites are: Sephora Collection Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer and Maybelline Super Stay Concealer.
- Fluffy Brush + Eyeshadow Brushes: A fluffy brush is great for powder and blush and you will need eyeshadow brushes to apply your eyeshadow. If you’re using a BB Cream I would just apply it with your fingers. For makeup brushes, my favorite brand is Real Techniques. It’s affordable and of good quality!
BONUS Multi-sticks: I seriously don’t think multi-sticks existed when I was in middle school but hooray for you! Multi-sticks are products you can use on your eyes, lips and cheeks as blush. This is great so you can buy less products and experiment with makeup! My current favorite multistick is from E.l.f!
Products to avoid for Middle School 🙁
- Foundation: I said I would never wear foundation until I was 20 but I started wearing foundation when I was 18. Foundation is what instantly gives away that you’re wearing makeup. It also looks really heavy on the skin! I don’t recommend foundation for middle school because your skin is already in a good shape for the most part unless you have severe acne. I find that only people with acne tend to use foundation so they can cover it up. But try to prevent acne and get rid of it instead of covering it up! The best thing to do is use good acne-fighting products and establish a good skincare routine.
- Lip Liner: This step is more for the pros. If we’re being real here I myself barely use lip liner. I usually don’t have coordinating products for my lip color or I just forget to use them!
- Contour/Highlight/Bronzer: Contour is a big no for me! I love contouring now but I feel like for middle school it’s too much! Highlighter is something I never used as a middle schooler but if you want a little shimmer I guess there’s nothing wrong with that.
- Color Correctors: You probably don’t have dark circles or redness. If you do then just use a concealer.
- Brow Products: More on the dramatic side and not necessary for a middle schooler.
- Eyeliner: Eyeliner is very dramatic and also requires a lot of skill. I’m still terrible at eyeliner! I don’t recommend eyeliner but if you do want it then go for something simple!
- Primers: I never used them till high school but I guess you could? It just helps your makeup go on better and stay on longer.
- Setting Spray/Setting Powder: Didn’t even know these existed until late high school! Since you are gonna be wearing light makeup it’s really not that necessary.
- Fake Lashes: Never worn fake lashes to date. I probably will in the future for fun but fake lashes are very dramatic you don’t want to be seen with them in middle school.
- Liquid Lipstick/Lip stains: Liquid lipsticks tend to have a lot of bolder and brighter colors and the same with the stain. You don’t want your lipstick to be too bold as a kid. Trust me this is one of my biggest regrets! I used to want to wear bold lipstick as a kid and I always got looks. Whereas now that I’m older it’s more socially acceptable.
- Lip Plumpers/Injections: Never used this in my life. I really don’t see why you would need this in middle school. It basically just makes your lips bigger.
- Lash Curlers: Okay so I used to use a lash curler from E.l.f in middle school and I had a friend who used a lash curler too back in middle school. But now neither of us use a lash curler! Just use a curling mascara instead,
- Beauty Blenders: These are best for foundation so if you’re not using foundation then you don’t need them. Plus I’m not a fan of these guys (if you want to know more read this)
If you have never even heard of some of the products on these list then that’s okay because even I don’t use some of these products. Makeup is best used when you work your way up. I started off with simple makeup in middle school and started adding more as I became more comfortable with it and grew older. Don’t forget you also need to take off your makeup properly at the end of the day (read more here)!
Those are my thoughts on middle school makeup! Let me know what you think about this? If you are in middle school does this seem good to you or do you use more or less. If you are not in middle school think back to your middle school days and see how you compare! Are you the parent of a middle schooler? How does this post make you feel are there any tips I should include from the concerns of a parent. Let me know I wanna hear it all! And as always don’t forget to check me out Instagram!
Products Mentioned in this Post
Come say hi to me on Instagram!😊